About us? It's not really about us, is it?
Duoh! is really about you. More than that, our work is about your users and their experience of you and what you offer.
Yet, we do have a tiny little story to tell, a peek at who we are. Two things you can already guess: It's a love story, and it's about design.
Veerle, graphic design degree in hand, started Duoh! in 1992, focusing on freelance print work. In 1994, she was wooed by Geert Leyseele. Clutching her strong graphic design principles under one arm, and her heart in the other, she took the leap, and a little while later, beautiful little Duoh! n.v. was born.
As it turned out, Geert wasn't just another pretty face. Veerle's hero brought superpowers to her business: X-ray vision to see around corners into the future of the web, a drive to move to Web Standards, an eye for project management, and the ability to leap wireframes and IA obstacles in a single bound.
When Veerle's blog became famous around the world for her tutorials and insights on design, CSS, and other subjects, fascinated readers saw the picture in the heading and asked, "Is that the designer's girlfriend?" No, it was Veerle, the other happy half of Duoh!
Life is our inspiration
We inhale the richness of life :
- sharing love, laughter, and knowledge with our friends and web community
- absorbing design (from galaxies to retro menus to bathroom faucets, we see it everywhere)
- putting our minds to design puzzles
- digging deeply into markup and code so our designs can sing
- delighting in chill house and progressive house music, art and artists, lovely sandy beaches, and biking through the countryside
and, then, we exhale websites.
Growing up but staying small
We love what we do and want to do it ourselves, not manage others. We create websites for some Big Clients (and fresh, little start-ups, too), and choose our clients just as carefully as they choose us. Each day, we throw ourselves passionately into the task of becoming better at work and at play. The rest of the Duoh! story? Look around; our work says it all.
- Duoh! was selected to be in the Adobe® CS3 Web Workflow Guide (p. 62 - 63 of the PDF) which is included in the Creative Suite 3 Web Premium box
Acknowledgments & awards
- Veerle is nr. 39 on 'NxE’s Fifty Most Influential Female Bloggers'
- Veerle on NetDiver powagirrrl
- Veerle’s blog, 2006 Artypapers Awards Best Redesign
- Veerle’s blog, 2nd place in 'Site of The Year' and 2nd place in the category 'Blogging' for the first CSS World Awards
- Veerle’s blog on CSS Beauty
- Veerle theme for Netvibes
- 3 sets of Blogger skins in 3 color variations for Google (not implemented yet)
- Interview with Veerle Pieters - Vectortuts+
- Interview with Veerle at About.com:Graphic Design
- Graphic Design School Blog | Interview with Veerle Pieters
- An interview with Veerle Pieters - CSS3 . Info
- Interview with Veerle at Opera Developer Network
- Mirificam Press Interview Series: Veerle Pieters
- Interview with Veerle at Digital Web
- Interview with Veerle at Abuzeedo
- Interview with Veerle in Flanders Today
- Interview with Veerle at CSSRemix
- Interview with Veerle at Subtraction about illustrating
- Interview with Veerle at McVille.net
- Veerle as panel speaker at SXSWi 2006, Austin TX: Starting Small
- Veerle as panel speaker at @media 2006, London: Good Design vs. Great Design
- Veerle as speaker with Dave Shea at Web Directions North 2007, Vancouver Canada: Finding Creativity in the Design Process
- Veerle as panel speaker at SXSWi 2007, Austin TX: Design Workflows at Work (How Top Designers Work Their Magic)
- Veerle as panel speaker at SXSWi 2009, Austin TX: Color Angels, Episode 1: Colors: It's Not Black and White
- Veerle as speaker at EECI2009, the first ExpressionEngine & CodeIgniter Conference, Leiden, The Netherlands
- New Adventures In Web Design conference | Nottingham | 20th January 2011
- An Event Apart Boston 2011